Open position for Director of the new Sorbonne University Institute of biology
The Institut de biologie Paris-Seine (IBPS) and the Institut du fer à moulin (IFM) will merge in 2025 into a single Institute located on the Pierre & Marie Curie campus (Jussieu) of Sorbonne University. This “Fédération de Recherche” will be composed of four research units hosting a total of 45 teams, which decipher basic principles governing development, nervous system function, physiology and genome evolution. Interdisciplinarity is a central asset of the future institute. A quarter of the teams have background from physics, mathematics, computational sciences or chemistry and a dedicated program has been implemented to foster interdisciplinary research (i-Bio).
In the very center of Paris, the Pierre & Marie Curie/Jussieu campus of Sorbonne University hosts some of the best French teams in physics, mathematics, informatics, chemistry, engineering and biology, on a unique site, making it stimulating and highly interactive. The campus has a large pool of students (nearly 30000), facilitating interactions with them.
The Institute benefits from shared high-end facilities for imaging, animal housing and phenotyping, bioinformatics, and protein biochemistry.
For further information:
- Institut de biologie Paris-Seine, IBPS
- Institut du fer à moulin, IFM
- IBPS facilities
Mission as the future Institute Director
The future Director will be in charge from January 2025 for 5 years (renewable). His/her role will be to:
- lead the institute actions;
- define an ambitious scientific strategy (facilities, scientific orientations, new group leaders…..) and expansion of the institute’s international visibility;
- promote the institute’s scientific animation as well as foster internal communication and cohesion;
- manage the administration, shared institute budget and facilities. To do so, the Director will rely on a Secretary General and a Delegate for Scientific Affairs interacting with the administrative support team, as well as the directors of the four constituent units.
Ideally, the future Director will join discussions from 2022 and the Institute in 2023/2024, in order to be involved in shaping its organization.
We are seeking a highly motivated and prominent scientist with excellent organisation skills and management experience. Lab space and an attractive package will be provided if the director decides to maintain a strong research activity. The candidate should hold a position in the French academic system, have knowledge of the institutional agencies and bodies governing research in France (CNRS, Inserm, Universities, ANR, Foundations). The candidate should have an inspirational and dynamic personality, and a strong sense of dedication to the community. The candidate should be willing to support and promote interdisciplinary research.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to sciences-IBPS-IFM.email@example.com
For further information please contact the same mail address.
Deadline for submission : before the end of April 2022.